Monday, July 6, 2015

Wednesday's DNF Reviews


Let's Get Lost
ISBN:9780373211241
July 29, 2014

 Reading slumps are awful. Wednesday and I have recently stumbled upon a few reads we werent able to finish. We hate DNFing books, in fact Let's Get Lost and Fangirl are Wednesday's first DNF reads. Here's why:

1. Neither of us enjoy road trip books.

2. The characters are cliche.

3. We may be reading too many contemporaries at the moment.

4. There really wasn't a big enough plot that kept the story engrossing.

5. I was able to get to page 110

Adi Alsaid is Amazing in person. I ran into him at BEA 2015 and had my picture taken with him. I also received an ARC of his second book Never Always Sometimes. Even though Let's Get Lost wasn't our favorite, we will definitely be giving it a try.


Embedded image permalink

 



Fangirl
1. Had a hard time getting used to the writing style

2. Found the plot boring and started skimming

3. The whole "Fangirl" concept kept reminding her of Lacrosse and since she plays two games every week, the book provoked her to think about the upcoming games.

4. Admits she prefers stronger plot lines now in contemporary settings after reading some great sci-fi paranormal reads.

I actually haven't read this book, so all of these standpoints are from Wednesday's point of view. I own this book in several different formats. I read Eleanor and Park and didnt care for it, which is why I am hesitant. However, I've heard nothing but great things and definitely plan to read this myself.





Published by M

3 comments:

  1. I love the ecard picture! I need to use that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just DNFed a book a few days ago, and I felt bad because the author is in a support circle with four other authors I am pretty good friends with. They were all praising her book, so when I started reading the Netgalley copy they told me to request, I kept thinking, "Did they even read this?" The writing was AWFUL, very amateurish like a middle school creative writing assignment. There was no way those other authors would have thought the writing was good. I don't think they did her a favor, kissing her butt, because with some honest critiques and a good editor the story could have been great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to see that you didn't enjoy either of these! I've yet to read Let's Get Lost, though I did read Fangirl. I greatly enjoyed it so I'm sorry that you didn't.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete